When you are in a different country, don't speak the language, and attend a church that uses a language you don't understand, you really don't get much of a chance to participate in the "ministry".
I did get to preach several weeks ago with Pastor Roy as my interpretor and I enjoyed it so much! We also go out on "distribution" every week where we put the Gospel and information about Reformer's Unanimous on doors in neighborhoods. This is great but we really don't get much of a chance to participate in the "dealing with people" part of the ministry.
Pastor Roy has for the past week interpreted the main points for us when he preaches. This is such a big blessing for us because it is very tough sitting in a church service week after week and never getting anything from the messages! I used to come up after the services to him and comment, "I didn't get a thing out or your message today!" So now he translates his main points for us. Even with just the main points, the Lord still convicts our hearts and we get fed spiritually!!!
This past week, Pastor Roy has asked me to teach the Teen Boy's Sunday School class for him. He normally teaches it but he will now have to teach the adult Sunday school class for the summer and needs me to fill in for the Teen Boy's class. Since the boys in the class speak English I can teach in English for now and hopefully I can incorporate French as I learn it.
Pastor Roy also asked me to preach a 15 minute devotion for the Men's Prayer Breakfast on the 20th of this month and he will interpret for me. I am looking forward to this opportunity. A preacher loves to preach and when you are unable, you feel like a "fish out of water". I am looking forward with great enthusiasm to be able to have a hand in the ministry!
Bon journee!