Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Épluchette de blé d`inde

This past Sunday, we had a missionary family visit. The Mossman's from Cameroon in Africa were a fine family and we enjoyed some great fellowship both during and after church. One of the things that were planned was for the church to have an old fashioned Corn Cob Party! The French name for a Corn Cob Party is Épluchette de blé d`inde!

After church, we loaded up our vehicles and headed about 40 minutes Ouest (West) to Madame Estelle Piche's maison (house)...I am trying to throw in a few French words! For the past two days we have had rain and cold weather. We asked God for clear weather on Dimanche (Sunday)for this outdoor fellowship. When we woke up Sunday morning, it was raining and the sky was thick with dark clouds. However, when we arrived at Ms. Estelle's home, the blue skies broke through and what a great afternoon the Lord gave us! We ate lot's of the most sweetest corn I think I may have ever had!

(Upon arrival, we began to shuck a sack of corn along with several Wal-Mart sacks of corn. You can see the sun beginning to shine!)
(Many hands make light work!)(Yes, I ate some raw....I love raw corn freshly shucked...and I think Pastor Roy is doing some sort of exercise pose or something in the background!)
(The corn was boiled in a big pot over a propane burner. You take a hot cob and roll in on this big stick of butter...until it drips! Then salt it and you are ready to go!)(Kami will now demonstrate the last process!)
(Our kids on the left and the two of the Mossman girls on the right.)