Family Fun Night is something that we do each Friday evening (It started out on Thursday but we had to move it to Friday because of Language school.) We believe in spending valuable time as a family and being invovled in our children's lives. I have often asked older preachers and missionaries about their lives and asked them to give me some advice as parents and as a preacher. I will often ask a "seasoned" preacher or missionary this question: "What one piece of advice would you give to a young preacher and missionary, maybe something you learned from experience, that I need to remember and learn?" All of the great men I have asked this question to said the same thing........"Don't forsake your family. If you lose your family you lose your ministry..." I have taken this to heart and our family time is important to us and our children love it!
Each Friday we plan a special event for our family and a special dinner. Last night our children wanted chicken strips (with home-made honey mustard) and french fries. We also plan on a fun event or craft (we have done scavenger hunts, crafts, games, etc.). They are inexpensive ideas but fun. This past week we studied the life of Joseph and for family fun night we all had to come up with some sort of project to share with the rest of the family about Joseph. Everyone did a great job, here is what each of us did:
Patrick - I colored posters picturing each of the Butler and Baker's dreams and I had a short quiz about these men.
Kami - She sewed scraps of old fabric and made a miniature coat of many colors!
Joshua - Took pictures of differenct scenes from Joseph's life (using our camera and setting up LEGO scenes) and put the pictures on TV and gave us an overview of major events in his life! (This scene is Joseph being thrown into the pit. The animals are their sheep.)
Elisabeth - Made a "Welcome to Egypt" poster advertising the sale of various foods during the famine. (Kami's Coat of Many Colors is on the doll!)
Brenna - Took a shoe box and modeling clay and set up a diorama of various scenes of Joseph's life! (Notice the blood stains on Joseph's Coat!)
Silas - Took apart Brenna's clay diorama and tried to eat it!
We all had fun studying the life of Joseph and praise the Lord for a wonderful example of a Godly man!