We received this email from a missionary that we know who is using his personal plane to deliver supplies and help to the Haitians. This is one of his updates and I thought I would put it on here for you to read....it definitely sheds some light and opened my eyes to the UN and humanitarian efforts in Haiti and how people abuse the help that is extended to them.
Today was a much different day in Haiti . Either I have been to busy notice or maybe I just opened my eyes or maybe things are really starting to change here. I ate dinner tonight at the permanent United Nations Compound here in Haiti . (The place is huge!) I had the privilege of eating dinner with Jeff, a family practice doctor from Miami . As we ate we shared our stories and things that I have seen and done here really came into focus. After we discussed our lives at home Jeff began to tell me of the things he has seen. He told me how that at the Miami Hospital the majority of things have moved from the immediate care to therapy and other such work. I began to realize that this is no longer a recovery effort but more of a welfare effort. Today, we had a plane with 71 parcels of tents, beans and rice arrive. For the first time the Haitian Customs officers mounted with side arms arrived with lights flashing to receive the airplane. The officers demanded manifests reporting the goods point of donation and a tax exemption status, otherwise the goods would be all taxed. Of course, this was unreasonable, and a blatant attempt of robbery from an unknowing volunteer pilot. After nearly an hour, the officer finally said that if they would give them each a tent they would let the goods through customs.
There are others places into town where the damage is very limited and not so wide spread. But these people are getting the relief supplies just like everyone else. So, they have taken the unneeded goods that set up shop on the sidewalks. If you cannot get a bag of USAID rice for free in Haiti , just let me know, because I have seen the places you can buy some. Some have huge bags of shoes and clothes that were given from across America and now they have a department store in their house. Then the areas that have been hardest hit still get their supplies at the same rate and are in much worse despair.
Since I have been here I have had many people come and ask me for a job. They tell me that they have lost everything; they tell me that there family has died, they tell me that no one will help them. They say everything is destroyed and they cannot find any work. That statement struck so different today than other days. I had some young Haitian men tell me that they could not find any work. They spoke very good English, so I looked at them and said, “What do you mean you cannot find anything to do! All I see around me is, something to do. I said go to your house and start rebuilding it.” The one who appeared to be the leader said, “We don’t get paid to rebuild our own houses.” To which I replied, “I don’t get paid to build your house either!” The Haitians are wondering the streets still looking for someone to take care of them, but really it is time that they start something on their own. I could not begin to explain how many thousands of Americans are here as volunteers, many are missing work and an income, to help these people and the people are doing little to help themselves.
Corruption is starting to fester out at the lower levels. Today, I filed a flight plan for leaving the country. The first thing the man said to me was, “Have you ever been in Haiti before.” I knew that was a setup question. So, I responded, “a few times.” He said, “How long have you been in Haiti ?” Another setup question. I said, “A while.” He asked many questions to which I replied with vague answers. I knew after the earlier extortion that they were trying to get my money. The funniest question he asked was, “How many times did you land?” To which I replied, “Which Time!” He had no clue what to say. So anyway, he said he could not accept the flight plan without payment for services. I asked what services? He said for the traffic control. I said it belongs to us the United States , remember yours fell down. Then he asked me, “Who owns this airplane you fly?” This guy was wearing me out, we were 20 minutes into a 30 second paperwork swap. So I said, “That airplane belongs to the King.” Finally the other agent says, “If it is a King we cannot charge him.” With that they took the paper and I left.
Trust me there is enough money behind the gates of the United Nations gate to make a real difference in this country. But they will not. All they do is driving around diplomats with their lights flashing and the guns showing. I have seen many many UN convoys of trucks leave the compound and drive through town, all without one single grain of aid for the people. They fly the huge helicopters day and night. Not one time have they carried a single bean. I know men here from Florida flying the R-44 delivery for the very remote areas. The UN has a picture up of a pilot carrying a box past his UN helicopter in one of the villages. The one problem is the UN helicopter went in empty and the box came out of the R-44, and the R-44 is not even in the picture.
Well, enough for now, I will be returning to the US tomorrow if all goes well and the weather cooperates.