Thursday, December 17, 2009

(Not-so) Quiet Time with The Lord

This morning, Kami and I woke up just before 6 AM to read our Bibles together and pray together. Normally, we have our devotion time apart, but this morning we wanted to spend time together with the Lord.

It is amazing all of the distractions and battles that occur when you try to pray and read your Bible. These are not coincidences, but a "spiritual" warfare on your time with the Lord.

After I got ready, Kami rolled out of bed and started her morning routine. I was excited to have this quiet time alone with her. I tiptoed through the kitchen as all of the children were still asleep. Silas and Joshua are asleep in their room about 10 feet from the kitchen so I tried to be real quiet. I filled and turned on the coffee pot, got our mugs all ready (plenty of coffee creamer and two sugars!), and then I got our Bibles ready at the kitchen table.

All of a sudden, I looked into the boys room and sure enough, Silas was smiling at me. Okay, no problem, we can give him some milk and a snack in his highchair while we read and pray together. We read our Bibles and started to pray as Silas made noises and did his new trick....he takes a sip of milk and bubbles it out of his mouth. A little distraction but one we can overcome.

As Kami started to pray, Silas began to fill his diaper. It's not just a private, quiet deal with him. He grunts and lets everyone know what he is doing. Well, it definitely is distracting to pray while a baby fills his diaper.........but we kept on praying after we laughed about the matter.......not 1 minute later did the phone alarm start going off. I had to get up, find the phone and shut it off. It just seemed that one thing after another kept happening.

But after our prayer time, I realized why the Devil fought this prayer time. You see, I have a wife that knows how to pray. I sometimes have trouble praying for people. Let me explain....when there is a specific problem or prayer request, I pray for those needs and situations. However, when there is no specific prayer request or situation...how do pray for someone everyday and not seem like a vain repititious prayer. As Kami prayed for our son Joshua, I was taught how to pray for people. I had her pray for each of our children so that I could listen to her pray. What a prayer warrior, just listening to her taught me so much about praying for the spiritual, emotional, and personal needs of people.....the deep thoughts and intents of their hearts and the daily battles and struggles that they face deep within their hearts everyday.

The Lord taught me a lot this morning...during our (not-so) quiet time with the Lord......