Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fiddleheads....A New First!

We went to the nature trail/walking park with the girls and Silas on Saturday. (Joshua is in Nova Scotia this weekend) On our way, we saw the fern shoots coming up and I mentioned to Kami and the girls that I thought you can eat these things. As we walked further into the trail/woods, we saw a man picking something on the side of the river. A little further down the trail, I saw a man and a woman picking some items from along the river as well. I went up to the man and asked what they were gathering. He told me they were gathering fern shoots. After a brief description on how to cook them (just like you would green beans basically), they gave us some. Brenna got real excited and started gathering more. Once home, we washed them thoroughly (dirt, pet urine...you never know what could be on them!)
We put them in a skillet with butter and lots of fresh garlic. We added some salt and pepper and sauteed them until they looked tender.

We dished them out........and the verdict???


We all thought they were very good!



When Josh gets back Monday, we are heading back to the park to pick some more. He will love getting out in the woods with his pocket knife and gathering "survival food"!