Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A broken water pump...waiting for a father-in-law!

I got to thinking, it has been a while since I have had to work on my car.  Then I began to think about how it would be nice to have a car project to work on with my son Joshua....and as Kami would say, "The Lord gave you the desires of your heart!"

Now, we have a problem with our car...it pours out more water than you can put in!  The water pump is bad and my father-in-law helped us to get one and our girls brought it back from Florida yesterday.

I thought it was going to be a quick job replacing the pump.  Josh and I quickly took out the radiator & shroud, disconnected hoses & lines, took off belts and removed the fan assembly...(calling my Father-in-law after each step because things just didn't seem right.)

It turned out that this is no ordinary water pump fix.  We literally have to pull the pulleys off and remove the front engine timing cover.  So basically, we ran into a dead-end....I don't have a pulley puller to take care of this.
(We are in the West Indies and Josh is wearing a long sleeve shirt outside because the mosquitos were eating us alive!)
 
So after calling my father-in-law all day long, showing him pictures and asking him questions about our now "major repair"...we realized that this job takes more tools than I have on hand.  We then made an appointment at a garage to put on the water pump...a week from Thursday.  So, Josh and I put everything back together and filled up the radiator with fluid which drained out of the bad water pump almost as quickly as I put it in....So, at least Josh learned how to remove & install a radiator and adjust the tension on the belts so it wasn't a wasted day!
 
(I tried to talk my father-in-law into purchasing a plane ticket and bringing his tools with him here to St. Barths...he could get to see all of his grandkids and he could even get away from my mother-in-law for a few days!  Heee...Heee...Heee)