Sunday, June 13, 2010

Preaching & Airplanes.....Two of my favorites!!!

It's now Sunday evening and I was reflecting on the events of this past weekend. What a great past two days that we have had!



I had the opportunity to preach in French this evening.......is it really still preaching when you practically read your entire message from paper???? (If I remember correctly, Jonathan Edwards read his sermon "Sinners In The Hands of An Angry God" so I guess its preaching!)



This was the first time that I have preached in French that I felt more at ease and the words seem to flow easier for me. I was even able to look away from my paper and make eye contact and I even ventured as far as adding in some words off of the top of my head....trust me....being able to look away from your notes is a big step when preaching in a foreign language!



Yesterday was great as well. One of my passions is airplanes...I love airplanes, reading about them, seeing them, watching documentaries about them and I have always wanted to get my pilot's license but the Lord has not let me.......yet.....who knows, maybe one day!



This past week, I heard the sound of a military jet flying around (I always look to the sky to see what's flying around and you can always tell a military aircraft, WWII aircraft, etc. apart from one another.) I was delighted....ok excited beyond measure......to see the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds flying overhead! (I was in the Air Force, I love F-16's, and love air shows!). We found out that there was an Air Show this weekend here in Quebec City!
Benjamin Roy (the Pastor's Son), Joshua, and myself spent the day at the show. We had a great time and even got Sun-Burnt!

Josh took great care of Benjamin and made sure he could see everything!



Most of the aircraft, the ones flying & on display, were from the United States!.....A little taste from home!




I have to admit, I was a little emotional when the U.S. National Anthem started playing and our flag was hoisted high in the air by this parachutist! (There's just something about Old Glory!)

Seeing the U. S. Military Aircraft (especially the refueling tankers) made me remember my days in the military!


The three of us enjoyed the acrobatics and stunts performed. It was a great day and I learned three great truths when attending an Air Show:
1. Bring chairs.......you need something to sit on!
2. Bring an umbrella....not because of rain (if it did rain there would be no show!) but to keep the blazing sun from toasting you crisp!
3. Bring your own lunch!.......$25 for two slices of pizza, 3 drinks and a hamburger with fries!....$5 for two bottles of water......
However, the experience of taking my son and his friend to an air show......worth it all!!!