Thursday, July 16, 2009

Be Careful What You Ask For !!!

When we stopped in to gas up our van the other day, I went in to pay and as usual the attendant said something in French. My usual answer is, "I don't speak French." There were two attendents and they each looked at each other and one said in broken English, "You don't speak French?"

I then decided to use my "limited" French to tell them I am studying French (J'etudie le francais). One of the young men said, "3.86" and the other looked at me and said, "No, it is 14 million." I was so confused, so I looked at them and asked what they were talking about...One attendent got excited and said, "The lotto, it is 14 million!". We then proceded to make sense of our conversation and we all began to laugh. They barely spoke English and I don't speak French and in the mix-up they thought I was asking about the lotto and was trying to buy a ticket. We laughed some more and I gave them a French Gospel Tract. As we left, they were standing at the counter, reading the Gospel. When I got back to the van, Kami asked what all the laughing was about to which I replied, "I think I almost bought a lottery ticket!"