Tuesday, May 5, 2009

911.....Car Washes....NFL Network and Plane Tickets !!!

We started out to leave to cross the border into Canada on Monday morning at 6 AM. Upon entering the Lobby of our hotel to check out, I noticed the desk clerk "asleep" in the eating area of the lobby. She was sitting up with her legs on a chair and her head to the side. I casually made some noise, cleared my throat, clapped, and finally poked her on the arm, but to no avail. So I headed back to the room and got Kami to come with me. We both then proceeded to stomp our feet, whistle, clap, bang on the table and shake her but to no avail. She was out cold. I did begin to worry though, even though she was breathing. So I entered the reception desk and called the hotel headquarters and they said to leave our room key cards on the desk and leave. That didn't seem right just to leave her there, I didn't know if she was in a diabetic coma, or having a really good dream so with the consent of the hotel headquarters I called 911. We awaited the arrival of the ambulance and kept other hotel guests away (who had sat next to her) in the lobby. I do not know the outcome of the scene because when they got her awake we left and headed north. Upon reaching the border, we were met with a not-so-friendly immigration official to tried to find any reason he could for not letting us into Canada. However, we had all of our "ducks in a row" and produced every piece of paperwork he questioned us about! From there we received our Visitor's VISA and went to Customs. This official was great....he glanced at our paperwork and without making us unload our U-Haul, sent us on our way. From there we looked for food. We were hungry and found a Tim Hortons (donuts and pastry shop-like Dunkin Donuts). We just pointed to the signs and shook our heads (Learning French will come in so handy!). We then stopped for gas but as I put in our credit card at the pump I realized the screen was all in French. So I simply kept pushing yes about 5 or 6 times until I realized it was time to pump the gas....everything is in Liters so I still don't know how much I put in. I was later told by a missionary that by pressing "yes" to the French commands at the pumps, that I paid for a car wash and who knows what else. After a 4 hour drive, we arrived and had lunch with Pasteur Guillaume Roy and his wonderful family. We then unloaded our U-haul at our new three bedroom apartment.....we are so excited and tired! However, I do want to praise the Lord because the landlord who showed us how to operate the TV, showed me that we have the NFL network! At least I can catch a game or two! We went to Walmart today to buy some groceries and stock up with supplies before I leave tomorrow (Wednesday) for Ft. Myers, Florida. I will head home to help my mom and my brother in this difficult time of the passing of my father. I have a return ticket to come back to Quebec Saturday evening. Thank you for all of your prayers!
Bro. Patrick