This evening, Silas and I were sitting at the kitchen table (Kami was in the kitchen) and our conversation turned to a teaching moment about Heaven & Hell. We were discussing what is a sin and some things about the Devil. Then Kami made a statement from the kitchen and this conversation commenced:
(After talking about sin and the devil...)
Kami: The devil is one who is not going to Heaven...but Daddy and I are going to Heaven...
Silas: I'm going to miss both of you...
(At this point, Kami & I are giving each other the "where did that come from look"...and Josh is laughing of course...)
Kami: Why are you going to miss us? Where are you going when you die?
Silas: Hell...
(Now I'm thinking..."Oh no! We are raising a heathen!")
Kami: But hell is an awful place that is full of fire...you will cry forever.
Silas: Fire? Yes, but when I will cry I will get a band-aid.
Me: No, there are no band-aids in hell. (My way of trying to convince him that hell is really awful because there are no band-aids there!)
Kami: But in hell, you will be lost forever, you will never see Mommy & Daddy again.
Silas: Yes, but they will find me and take me to a policeman. Then I will find you.
Kami: But it doesn't work like that. You have to have Jesus in your heart to go to Heaven.
Silas: But I just want to stay here at Daddy's house and live with you and Daddy. Can't we just stay here together?
"...yes Silas, that sounds great...we love being with you so much!"
Don't you just love the philosophy of a 4-year old?