Monday, July 2, 2012

My Side of the Story...

Today, July 2, marks our anniversary and yes it's true, Kami and I were married 18 years ago!  Wow!

Kami posted on her blog (www.adayinthelifeofamissionarywife.blogspot.com) about what her day was like on the day we were married....so I thought I would post "My Side of the Story":

I had asked my high-school sweetheart and best friend to marry me and now the glorious day was here.

 I remember that there were so many plans that we had to make and prepare for.  You see, I was in the Air Force at the time and we would only have a 2-day honeymoon before we would load up a U-Haul trailer and take my new family of two (three if you include my motorcycle!) on an 1,800 mile trip to upstate New York to Plattsburgh Air Force Base. 

With all of the trip preparations on my mind and my wedding day at hand, I was a nervous wreck!  There I was, in my Air Force uniform standing next to my father-in-law who was in his tuxedo... bent under the hood of our car because it was broken down in the church parking lot.  As we frantically worked on my car, thoughts of missing my own honeymoon increased my panic!

But I have to admit, when I cleaned up from the grease and dirt and stood there watching my new bride walk down the isle, I knew I had made the best decision of my life (beside's my salvation of course!)

Our 18 years of marriage have come with trials, tears, laughs, and victories but I have counting it an honor and a blessing to have grown in faith with the "wife of my youth".  Kami has been my best friend and constant companion.  She has been my help-meet beyond measure and I am looking forward to the next 18 years!

P.S...that car of ours (an 86 Ford Taurus) broke down on our wedding night, and almost every 100 miles of our 1,800 mile journey to New York!