Thursday, September 11, 2008

To Be or Not To Be French...That is the question!

We received a phone call from the French Consulate in Miami this morning. Mrs. Caroline (the lady working on our French Citizenship process) called and told us their is a problem and we cannot be registered for French citizenship. I was told that I must attain an Affidavit of Paternity from the Government of the Virgin Islands if one even exists (which one doesn't exist). There were several other things that we needed and things didn't look good. I had my mother (who speaks French) to call and confirm everything because I had a hard time fully understanding Mrs. Caroline's French accent. Later this afternoon I called Mrs. Caroline and she was so excited on the phone. She said, "Didn't your mother tell you?....You are French already!" Apparently my mother had forgotton that when I was born, she had registered my birth with the French government, and Mrs. Caroline held in her hands my French Birth Certificate! The next step is to send my French Birth Certificate to an office in France to update it and then I can register my family for French citizenship. We praise the Lord who works to accomplish His will in preparing our family in reaching the lost souls of the French West Indies!